Monday, January 10, 2011

Winter BMX?


Haven't been on the bike much lately. Hence the lack of posts. Between crappy weather and a nasty cough and head cold it has been a struggle to find time to ride. Finally feeling better the dry but cold weather we have had lately has at least presented a chance to do some riding. Marcus and I spotted the full pipe pictured above on the way to the skatepark after I picked him up from school. A long walk in through damp, muddy fields and through a few barbed wire fences we ignored the ominous "No Trespassing" signs to check these things out. Tight painted metal tranny combined with the condensation made for a surface that was impossible to ride. The crane was sitting next to these looking like the water tank these will make up will be assembled soon so a chance to go back better prepared to dry them out is unlikely. Oh well. Sometimes the shade missions pay out, sometimes not. Unfortunately the park was a bust as well. All north facing transitions that don't get any sun had only just thawed out and were still very wet. Half of the park was wet and slick. Still dinking around on what was rideable was fun anyway. Just glad to be back on two wheels. Guess I have to rally some folks to come ride the unused indoor mini ramp in my shop. You would think that more people would be looking for a dry spot to session but so far no one has hit me up. After one of, if not the best trail seasons in recent memory I have no motivation to ride mini by myself. Speaking of trails, head over to Corvallis/Albany BMX Scene and see how you can help them out with working out a plan with the city of Albany for new trails. It will be a long hard road going through all the red tape it will take to get trails sanctioned by the city but if it works out it could mean good things. Think 9th Street in Austin. Good luck guys. Just glad that the city is considering anything at all after this summers tragedy. Rest in peace Luke. We'll never forget you. For now I guess I'll have two settle for the indoor bmx track to get my dirt fix now that they have started running again after the short off season that follows the Grands. It's been fun even though I went down trying to make a pass for second this weekend. Riley, I think you need to come down and renew the old on track rivalry we had back in day and get your kid racing. What ya think? Definitely hit me up for some hate ramp sessions while it's still there. This will likely be its last winter. Here's a clip of this last summer, hope it motivates some people to come throw some dirt to make this summer at the Backwoods better than last.

End of the Season Jam at Backwoods Trails from Tom Lyons Media on Vimeo.

3 comments:

  1. Im trying to get down this weekend to ride the ramp. I dont have your #

    ReplyDelete
  2. email me your number Frank... wanna go ride or come start digging soon or both...

    ReplyDelete
  3. That looks like a totally awesome dirt ramp you have there! Also, I agree, erratic weather sure does stop your tracks in biking, due to the risks that comes along with it, so it would be better if you ride at an indoor park instead.

    ReplyDelete