Tuesday, April 6, 2010

Old School Weekend

Here are a couple of videos that do a great job of summing up this weekend. For me this was a surreal experience, like having my bmx life flash before my eyes. Not in a near death sort of way but in a reliving so many experiences and emotions that bmx has brought me over my life. Being around and riding with so many people I have always looked up to and respected and reminiscing with friends old and new. It brought back so many memories and created a bunch of new ones. Jamie Mcparland probably summed it up best when he said, "What other sport do you travel miles away from home and find a place to stay with other participants? What other sport do you actually cheer for your competitors and are stoked when they pull something?" My memory is shady so that's probably not an exact quote but close enough to get his point.





Woodward is an amazing place. I was able to push myself beyond my comfort level a few times and increase my confidence level on my bike in just a couple days. Shad got me to roll in on the vert ramp. Standing on the top of a 13 Ft ramp is intimidating to say the least. Sacked up and rolled in, and even got tires above coping on a few airs. Psyched. Played in the foam pit a little bit. It's kind of a pain in the ass getting out of that thing and there was always a line up. I tried a couple flips but got scared upside down and didn't get around. Oh well, next time. I did however do a couple threes into the foam pit to get my nosedive on and carried that over to the resi box. Biggest threes I've done in a long time, good rotation and didn't get loopy. Good lesson on how much riding is really all mental. All and all a great time even though by the end of the weekend I was so sore I could hardly move. Feeling like an old man after that jam. Many thanks to Ryan, Rachel, and Francis for letting us stay at their house. And thanks to Ben Ward and Odyssey for the van and driving us around. Oh and another HUGE thanks to Jared Sourney for GIVING me a brand new copy of the Freestylin' book that I was able to get autographed by some of my all time favorites like these three:


Mat Hoffman, Dave Nourie, Ron Wilkerson


My favorite thing at Woodward. The Hanger bowl. So fun!

4 comments:

  1. Way to give the flips a try. Next year I will make you do them with me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that looks like it was a blast. How cool is it to see those dudes shred!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm glad you came on the trip frank... I thought we had some really good chats, not to mention watching you ride over that thing by the spine was amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jamie. Means a lot coming from an old school vet like yourself.

    ReplyDelete